Friday, October 24, 2008

Ski Racks and Winter Tires

It's getting close to November and my thoughts turn to getting the snow tires on the car and putting the ski rack on the roof. I want to be ready for the first day of skiing.

My car is a little unusual but given the gas prices these days no one even blinks anymore when I drive into the ski area parking lot in my MINI Cooper. The car will have snows on all 4 wheels and the MINI ski rack in place. Yes, this car does very well in the snow.

Fortunately, skis have become shorter and fit on the car with ease. We use ski bags , although a box is available option for the MINI Cooper. Without protection from the elements (salt, sand, rock, etc.) the skis would be damaged. The investment in a good rack and ski bag is the best insurance.

The car always has a snow shovel, ice scraper, blankets and a fully charged cell phone as standard emergency equipment. My ski boot bag carries all the essentials: ski boots, ski jacket ,extra fleece, gloves and mittens, hats, change of clothes, turtle fur neck gaiter, goggles, sunglasses, chapstick, sun tan lotion, energy bars and my ski pass. Being a visiting patroller, I also carry my radio tuned into the local ski patrol. I do not transmit but listen in to whats going on the mountain. I get first hand information to steer me around problem areas, hear about trails that have opened or closed and where the shortest lift lines are.

The essentials for a vacation trip by air are the same but if you travel light some equipment is best left at home.

What to you pack when you travel for the day? Is it the same when you travel by air?

Opening day is getting closer,

The Ski Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments, thoughts and opinions about this blog.

Thanks for visiting The Ski Traveler.