Thursday, October 9, 2008

NORDIC WALKING - Get Fit for Skiing

There was a time in my life that I could easliy SKI myself into shape. A little soccer, running or weight lifting was all that was needed to finish off an all ready active lifestyle. Now, as a card carrying, authenthic "Baby Boomer" and sometimes a couch potato, I need to get seroius about conditioning for the upcoming ski season. Things don't come so easily anymore. Let's be honest here.


How important is getting in shape for ski season?

Let me count the ways:

  • I want to prevent injuries.
  • I want to ski at a moderate to aggressive pace.

  • I want to ski most of the day without feeling tired.
  • And most of all, I want to be able to get up the next morning without the aid of a walker or half a dozen Advil!

My ultimate goal is to reach the 70+ Ski Club where I can ski for free. Lofty goals? Maybe, but I have found a way to help my fitness goals this year. It's called Nordic Walking.

You may have seen people out in your town walking with ski poles in their hands in the middle of summer. These people have discovered that, as cross country skiers all ready know, Nordic Walking can give you an UPPER and lower body workout and improve your posture. Nordic Walking can increase your heart rate an average of 10-15% more than normal walking.

Check out the Nordic Walking website for more information.

Get in shape

The Ski Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments, thoughts and opinions about this blog.

Thanks for visiting The Ski Traveler.